I met someone very special.
Last night. I went with a friend to watch the documentary The Free Voice of Egypt (directed by Konstanze Burkard) at the Movies That Matter Festival. I knew she would be there for a debate, much later. But as we were waiting for the movie to begin, there she was coming, and she sat next to us. Nawal El Saadawi.
That’s very special at the Movies That Matter, people you see in the films become real walking people while you’re there. And she certainly is very special to me, for how witty and warm and coherent she is about big issues. She can talk about something enormous in a way that has meaning and makes great sense. She’s warm and powerful and often the two don’t come together in a person. And she is fearless, she doesn’t compromise her ideas, she speaks her mind. I doubt she was never afraid. I am sure she was. But it is people that can be greater than their fears the ones who make a change.
She is an inspiration to me, and even though the term has been used and abused so much that it lost a good part of its weight…well, she really is special to me, full weight.
Article about the films and all the good things I have seen and heard to follow soon.
More on Passepartout
- Movies That Matter 2015 in 9 Points: Some Thoughts and Some Good Docs to Watch The Movies That Matter Festival just ended, and this edition reminded me why I love documentaries and why I write about them. I had a week of films and debates, and I feel I got some new […]
- Taxi (2015, directed by Jafar Panahi) Yesterday I ran through the cold rain and arrived soaking wet at the Movies That Matter Festival to see Jafar Panahi's new film, Taxi. Panahi has a 20 year ban on making movies in his home […]
- Movies That Matter Festival: Chuck Norris vs Communism and What I Remembered The first film I remember watching - ever - was one in which the main character is a guy dressed in white. Somehow I believe it was Alain Delon but I'm not sure what makes me believe that. […]
- Something to watch that I watched and loved
Movies That Matter began this Friday. I look forward to this week of films, even though it's hard to imagine how another film could be more complex and disturbing and complete and […]
- Running further and faster, and the bits of nature that make it so great My schedule is so packed with appointments and things to do nowadays. Sometimes I feel I cannot handle it anymore, besides a full time job I have two projects in development (one is a film […]
- Movies That Matter 2015! I just finished an article about Movies That Matter this year and I am so excited to be there, for a couple of reasons, the main being that Nadal El Saadawi will be there for talks, and […]