Beautiful or creepy? Portraits of Erna and Hrefna, two young twins from Iceland
They might have a special connection, get the same grades and have to same dreams, but to me these airy photos of Erna and Hrefna, twins from Iceland… well, they’re rather creepy. I don’t even have to explain why, I mean we’ve all seen enough horror films. Of which one do they remind you?
But the photos do hold a certain beauty, and the idea behind them is also rather touching. Japanese photographer Ariko Inaoka travels every summer to photograph these young ladies. She met them when they were 6 and hopes to keep taking photos of them until they are 16, which means 2 years to go. The idea is beautiful, but the outcome is strange, because looking at these photos I get the feeling that the project is not about them, but about what the photographer can make of them and their relationship. It’s not a portrayal but an interpretation. And a strange one because it doesn’t link to them being so close, it only links a lot to the horror cinema visual vocabulary. And even then, why do they have broken necks in so many of these photos?
More on Passepartout
- Sfantu Gheorghe: photos and stories from the Danube Delta Some months ago I traveled to the Danube Delta, in Romania. I spent a week in Sfantu Gheorghe, a small and beautiful fisherman village at the very point where the Danube arm with the same […]
- The most important thing they kept: portraying Syrian refugees through their ‘pieces of home’ 'The Most Important Thing: Syrian Refugees' is a collection of black and white portraits of people and the one thing they got to take when they left their home. Each story is written in a […]
- Sheep and the way of nature: a photo series about shepherds in the Caucasus In a way I can only partially explain, this photo series reminds me of home. I'm not from the Caucasus and I never owned a sheep in my life, but this is more than just facts, it's more […]
- Stories from a 13,000 km trip around the Black Sea Photographer Petrut Calinescu and writer Stefan Candea traveled 13,000 km around the Black Sea. Even though the photos have been taken in different countries (they started the journey in […]
- The Roma Journey – photos from seven countries There are certain mental images associated with the Roma. There is the romantic view, the dreaming and eternally free gypsy traveling the world with his horse and caravan. Then there's the […]
- Home in an unfriendly place: a photo portrayal of life in the city of Norilsk, close to the polar circle Here it is: Norilsk - photographed by Russian photographer Elena Chernyshova. You've probably never heard of the city, and there's no particular reasons you should have. Its list of […]