The Middle of Nowhere, the Mist and the Longing: a Series of Photos from Around the Wadden Sea
I really really miss being in a forest. I felt it today, really strong, didn’t recognize it at first but then I realized what it was. I miss the forest and therefore I miss home. Back home where I’m from. Romania. The misty days. The trees and the smells. And that certain feeling of having reached an end of the world. And strangely enough, this feeling reminded me of Henrik Emtkjær Hansen‘s photos from around the Wadden Sea.
I’ve been loving this photo series for a long time and kept it under the pillow for later. For when I’d feel homesick. These photos resonate so much with my longing not because what they capture is very similar to what I miss. I miss a place that’s thousands of kilometers away from the Wadden Sea. Yet the photos speak to me because of their feel and their poetry. There’s magic in places that make it seem like you reached an end of the world. And I’ve always been driven towards this magic.
For more about the series, check Feature Shoot.
More on Passepartout
- The Romania I love: a photo series about the surprising and the charms I’ll miss I'm leaving Romania today and going back to The Netherlands, and it's also the last day of the year and the last 2014 post on Passepartout, and somehow it feels just right to show you […]
- I’m from here: the amazing photos of Sebastião Salgado When someone asks you where you're from, you can say - I'm from here - and show the wonderful photos of Sebastiao Salgado. And that's no lie, we all belong to the world he portrays, […]
- Beyond time: photos of some of the oldest trees out there Some of the trees in Beth Moon's Portraits of Time photo series are 4000 years old, which means these trees were present when whoever you can recall from history was alive. They were […]
- Sfantu Gheorghe: photos and stories from the Danube Delta Some months ago I traveled to the Danube Delta, in Romania. I spent a week in Sfantu Gheorghe, a small and beautiful fisherman village at the very point where the Danube arm with the same […]
- Inappropiate: amazing photos of endless winter seen in august I know, this is totally out of place. Unless you're living in Australia, you now look outside your window and it's still summer. But I cannot help posting these amazing photos of winter […]
- Stories from a 13,000 km trip around the Black Sea Photographer Petrut Calinescu and writer Stefan Candea traveled 13,000 km around the Black Sea. Even though the photos have been taken in different countries (they started the journey in […]