The Way of the Reindeer: photos of the Mongolian Dukha people
It looks romantic but it’s actually a really tough harsh life. So tough and so harsh that it’s actually disappearing. The Dukha people live in the North of Mongolia and they domesticated reindeer but the current population is now estimated between 200 and 400 people. Many moved to the cities and the herds diminished. The remaining people make most of their money from tourists buying their crafts and riding the reindeer. Hamid Sardar-Afkhami documented the life of this shrinking community in these beautiful and poetic images.
via Bored Panda.
More on Passepartout
- Nature and freedom: Antoine Bruy’s photos of Europeans living off the grid I don't like jokes about husbands and wives, and I don't like comments about dreadful Monday mornings and happy Friday afternoons. Yet, here I am, pretty sleepy and confused on a Monday […]
- Home in an unfriendly place: a photo portrayal of life in the city of Norilsk, close to the polar circle Here it is: Norilsk - photographed by Russian photographer Elena Chernyshova. You've probably never heard of the city, and there's no particular reasons you should have. Its list of […]
- The comfort of taking a break from being you: Tom Broadbent’s portraits of Furries in their homes What you do when you're a Furry is that you dress up as a fluffy character and you meet up with other fluffy characters and you chat and have and hang around. You can also do other things, […]
- Sheep and the way of nature: a photo series about shepherds in the Caucasus In a way I can only partially explain, this photo series reminds me of home. I'm not from the Caucasus and I never owned a sheep in my life, but this is more than just facts, it's more […]
- Left behind: the silence of dogs left in cars Did you every look in the eyes of a dog and think he looked like a boy in the body of a dog? I did. Many times. And these photos bring back those feelings. (I think it's called to […]
- 150 meters above the ground: beautiful wildlife in Botswana I can bet that if I give you a map of Africa right now, you won't be able to show me where Botswana is. I can also bet that after seeing these eye-candy photos you'll want to fill this gap […]